March 13, 2017
After considerable discussion and deliberation, the difficult decision has been made to close the Court Reporting Institute of St Louis (CRISTL). The purpose of this letter is to provide you with additional information regarding the anticipated timing of this transition and the opportunities for you to complete your education. Please note that all plans relating to the closure of CRISTL are under review by and subject to final approval from the Missouri Department of Higher Education, the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools, the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges, and other regulators.
- The Institute has ceased enrolling new students and, it is our expectation, will close April 3, 2017, following the conclusion of the current term. Effective immediately, CRISTL will no longer approve requests for leaves of absence.
- Subject to regulatory approval, those students who have not graduated as of CRISTL’s closure will have the opportunity to complete their program by transferring to Vatterott College – Sunset Hills (VC). We are working to identify additional partner institutions that also may able to accept CRISTL students on transfer, and will provide information concerning any such opportunities as soon as it becomes available.
- For each student electing to transfer to Vatterott College – Sunset Hills (“Teach-Out Student”), VC would provide the remaining portions of the student’s program, as well as educational and student services. The VC teach-out would be carried out using the same curriculum presently used by CRISTL, and, we anticipate, would be taught by many of the same instructors. There would be no change to the program’s design or content. VC would issue a Vatterott College credential to each student who successfully completed his or her program.
- In carrying out the teach-out, VC would charge Teach-Out Students, and issue refunds, consistent with the terms of each student’s original Enrollment Agreement with CRISTL, VC also would ensure that no Teach-Out Students would be charged a total tuition for their program that exceeds the tuition specified in their CRISTL Enrollment Agreement.
- We anticipate that the VC teach-out would begin immediately following the closure of CRISTL. CRISTL and VC would work with each student electing to participate in the teach-out to facilitate his or her timely transfer.
- As previously noted, we will disseminate information relating to any other teach-out opportunity that is arranged as soon as it becomes available. Please note that the terms of any such arrangement might or might not be similar to those offered by VC.
- Students are not required to transfer to VC or to any other institution to participate in a teach-out. Students may choose to withdraw at any time, consistent with the terms of their Enrollment Agreement and catalog.
- Any CRISTL student that started after January 1, 2017, who elects not to continue their education as part of this teach-out plan will be entitled to a full refund. Refunds to students that started before January 1, 2017, and elect to withdraw will be processed in accordance with CRISTL’s refund policy, set out in relevant part below, which appears in each student’s Enrollment Agreement and Catalog:
If the student wishes to voluntarily withdraw from the institution, he or she should complete and submit to the Registrar or Director of Education a student withdrawal form. Refunds are made for students who withdraw or are withdrawn from the institution prior to the completion of their program. Refunds will be made within 30 days of the date the student is determined to have withdrawn. Refunds will be based on the current tuition charge incurred by the student at the time of withdrawal, not the amount the student has actually paid. Tuition and fees attributable to any future periods of enrollment that have not yet been charged will not be assessed. Any financing terms extended to the student are for convenience in paying the tuition and fees and are not in any way to be considered as payment(s) for any period of time. Refunds will be made per academic term in accordance with the following formula:
If the student withdraws or is withdrawn prior to completing 1/4 (25%) of the instructional hours scheduled for the academic term, he or she shall be entitled to a refund equaling 50% of the Tuition and Fee costs for such term.
If the student withdraws or is withdrawn after completing 1/4 (25%), but less than 1/2 (50%), of the instructional hours scheduled for the academic term, he or she shall be entitled to a refund equaling 25% of the Tuition and Fee costs for such term.
If the student withdraws or is withdrawn after completing 1/2 (50%), or more than 1/2 (50%), of the instructional hours scheduled for the academic term, he or she is not entitled to a refund.
Leaves of absence, suspensions, and school holidays do not constitute scheduled instructional hours. Charges for any supplies that have been received by the student will not be refunded.
- Students who accepted federal financial aid may be eligible to apply for a closed school loan discharge with the United States Department of Education. Information relating to closed school loan discharge, including eligibility requirements and application processes, is located on the Department’s website at the following address: https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/closed-school
- All student records will be transferred to VC for permanent storage, including for students who do not take part in the teach-out. Subsequent to the closure of CRISTL, students with records requests (g., request for transcript) should contact Vatterott College – Sunset Hills.
Over the coming weeks we will provide additional information and updates relating to the closure of CRISTL. In the interim, if you have any questions regarding this letter or the closure process, please do not hesitate to contact me via email at email@example.com, or by phone at (314) 290-0200.
Sarah Sutherland Campus Director
The Court Reporting Institute of St Louis